This 1926 Rolls-Royce Phantom 1 was photographed at the Hillsborough Concours d’Elegance in the San Francisco Bay Area.
“Frederick Henry Royce was an exceptional engineer and the Hon. Charles Stewart Royce was a man who excelled at marketing,” notes the owners’ summary at the concours.
“The Phantom 1 is the second model in the Rolls-Royce 40/50 hp line, also referred to as the New Phantom. Introduced in 1925, it offered a pushrod-OHV 7.7-liter inline 6-cylinder engine producing 12o hp when new.
“It is fitted with a three-speed manual gearbox with servo-assisted two-wheel drum brakes and Trico Visional ‘full-sweep’ windshield wiper assembly. This example’s chassis was produced at the Springfield, Mass., factory where 1,240 Phantom 1s were produced. Coachwork was by Biddle & Smart.”