The Morgan Plus 4 (or +4) is an automobile which was produced by the Morgan Motor Company from 1950 to 1969. It is a more powerful and, in the case of the earlier cars, slightly longer version of the company's 1950 4/4 model. The Plus 4 was revived in 1985 and filled the gap between the 4/4 and the Plus 8 until 2000; it was again revived in 2005.
After World War II Morgan had re-introduced their 4/4 model fitted with a 1267 cc Standard engine. This continued in production until 1950 when it was replaced by the larger Plus 4 announced at the 1950 Earl's Court Motor Show.
The Plus 4 at its introduction was fitted with a 2088 cc engine based on that used in the Standard Vanguard, installed on a strengthened 4/4, chassis with a wheelbase lengthened by 4 in (102 mm). Hydraulic brakes, at first all drum, were fitted for the first time on a Morgan.
In 1953 a higher performance version was announced with the 1991 cc I4 engine as used in the Triumph TR2. The radiator grille was now surrounded by a cowl that blended into the bonnet. Front disc brakes became an option in 1959 and were standardized in 1960. From 1962 the engine was the Triumph TR4 unit, which increased displacement to 2138 cc.
In 1955 the less powerful 4/4 model re-appeared in phase II form. The 96 in (2,438 mm) wheelbase of the Plus 4 was adopted by the 4/4 when it reappeared in 1955, after which the two cars were for most purposes the same length and width.
Keywords:1953 Morgan, Glenn Franco Simmons, Palo Alto Concours d'Elegance
© Glenn Thomas Franco Simmons' Photography